Meet Dr. Fred L. Bye
Fred L. Bye, DDS, MS
Dr. Bye is a Board-Certified Periodontist and a leader in the field of implant dentistry, advanced treatment of all types of periodontal diseases, periodontal plastic surgery procedures to enhance your smile, and oral medicine.
He is board certified by the American Board of Periodontology — demonstrating his mastery of periodontics before nationally chosen members of the specialty.
Dr. Bye is also a graduate and Fellow of The Misch Institute — North America’s most prestigious center for the study of implantology and is a Diplomate of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists — an international recognition of his expertise.
He strives to continue his education in order to better serve his patients, as well as provide education for the dental community.
Dr. Bye is an avid lover of the outdoors. He enjoys many activities such as skiing, fishing, and tennis. He is very involved in the lives of his three children, as well as his community.
God has guided him throughout his dental career and has especially blessed him with three beautiful children who share his gratitude and passion for the wonderful life and love we share.
Patient Review By Sheron W
I broke a front tooth and was mortified. My dentist took a mold and had a "flipper", a temporary partial, made for me. It was so uncomfortable, I realized I couldn't tolerate a partial for the rest of my life. I also vetoed a bridge. Why destroy good teeth to fix my broken one? For those two reasons, I decided to get a dental implant. My dentist referred me to Dr. Bye and I was comfortable with him from the beginning. He had a very calming effect and I had complete confidence in him from the beginning. An implant is not a quick fix. It is a long process from beginning to end but the final results are amazing. When I smile, no one knows which tooth was replaced. I've had people guess the wrong tooth! I highly recommend implants and especially Dr. Bye.
- Sheron W
Patient Review By Keith S
very nice and friendly
- Keith S
Patient Review By Martin K
The Bye Center, and all the staff, are top-flight and first-rate. If you need a dental implant, and have had a lifelong fear of dentists, dental work, and dental pain...this is the place for you to go to, as it was for me. It's a long process, but everyone at the Bye Center makes it easy and almost totally pain-free. I'm near the end of the process, and I've experienced only very minimal pain and only briefly. Everyone there is very friendly, professional, and efficient. They will set you at ease immediately and make the process very easy for you. Quite simply, you can't beat this place.
- Martin K
Patient Review By Alli H
I couldn't be happier with my experience at Dr. Bye's office. Every staff member was extremely friendly and did whatever they could to make sure that I was comfortable and knowledgable about the process of my procedure. Dr. Bye personally walked me through the procedure to let me know what was happening, called me the evening of my surgery to check in on me, and continued to schedule check-up appointments to ensure that I was healing well. In addition to a friendly staff and comfortable experience from start to finish, Dr. Bye did such a great job on my procedure and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. I would 100% recommend Dr. Bye's office to anyone and would go through with this procedure again in a heartbeat! Thank you Dr. Bye!
- Alli H
Patient Review By Greisy P
I would like to comment this, I visited this center and I am very satisfied with all the procedure they performed , the staff are very friendly and professional ,about Dr.Bye is an excellent doctor and very professional , and i recommend this place.
- Greisy P
Patient Review By Chris M
Dr Bye treated me with respect. He did a wonderful job.
- Chris M
Patient Review By Jane S
I was told that I needed an implant and I was fearful of the pain and startled by the expense. So much so that I put it off for a few years. When I received other options and another dentist's opinion, I felt that it "must be so" and I was emotionally ready. Unfortunately, by that time I had lost some bone and that complicated matters even more. I first saw Dr. Bye in 2013, the corrective process started in 2014 and was completed in 2016. I am so glad I had this implant done and I had no reservations after I met with Dr. Bye and saw the professionalism of his office staff and him. All of my appointments were timely, efficient, and I had no discomfort. I felt no pain, at any time. It was amazing. It takes a long time, costs a lot of money (by my standards), and I've never regretted it. I would recommend this procedure if it is needed, and I would recommend that Dr. Bye perform it.
- Jane S
Education and Teaching Appointments
At the University of Michigan School of Dentistry Dr. Bye was a professor in the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry where he enjoyed both lecturing and clinically instructing students training to become dentists, dental hygienists, and postgraduate students in various dental specialties.
He was honored with a Teacher of the Year award while also being involved in numerous research projects and the publication of related dental articles. The University of Michigan sponsored his travel to lecture to dentists at the local, state, national and international levels.
After the completion of his implant training at the world-renowned Branemark Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, he became director of the Dental Implant Training Program and placed both the first bone allograft and first dental implants for patients within the Department of Periodontics.
- Diploma, Msgr. John A. Gabriel’s, Lansing, Michigan
- B.S. (Zoology), Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- D.D.S. The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- M.S. (Periodontics), The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontics, The University of Michigan.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Restorative Dentistry, The University of Michigan.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontics/Prevention and Geriatrics, The University of Michigan
Professional & Volunteer Experience
In 1992, Dr. Bye followed his heart and his passion for helping people in founding The Bye Center for Implants and Periodontics in Hagerstown, Maryland. When someone asks him, “What do you do?” his response is, “I change the quality of people’s lives.” This is the greatest satisfaction any health care provider can ever have.
- Chief of Periodontics, USAF Regional Hospital, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina
- Assistant Professor of Dentistry, Department of Restorative Dentistry/Periodontics, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Part-time private practice — Specialty of Periodontics, Jackson, Michigan
- Part-time private practice — Specialty of Periodontics, Canton, Michigan
- Full-time private practice — Specialty of Periodontics, Hagerstown, Maryland
Professional Volunteer Work
- Past President of the Washington County Dental Society
- Director of an active dental implant study club for dentists in the tri-state area
- Director of The Bye Center for Continuing Education, including programs for dentists in isolated areas of Alaska
- Involvement with Dentistry from the Heart Day for patients with special needs in our local area
Licenses & Certifications
Licensure and Board Certifications
- National Boards Part I
- National Boards Part II
- Northeast Regional Boards
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
- State of Michigan Dental License #011534
- State of Michigan Specialty Certificate of Licensure
- Maryland State Dental License #11128/ Specialist in Periodontics
- Pennsylvania State Dental License #05029607L
- Department of Periodontics. The University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Ann Arbor, Michigan. Thesis: The Keratinizing Potential of the Sulcular Epithelium in Monkeys
- International Association for Dental Research, Oral Presentation: Histologic Evaluation of Periodontal Implants in a Biologically “Closed” Model. Las Vegas, Nevada. March 21-24.
- American Association for Dental Research, Poster Presentation: The Effect of Sharpening Stones Upon Curette Surface Roughness. Washington, D.C. March 12-15.
- American Association for Dental Research, Poster Presentation: Effectiveness of Scaling and Root Planning: Single vs. Multiple Instrumentations. Chicago, Illinois. March 11-15
- International Association for Dental Research, Oral Presentation: Four Different Pain Rating Scales Used to Evaluate Dentin Hypersensitivity.
Montreal, Quebec. March 9-13.
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Dental Association
- Maryland State Dental Association
- Washington County Dental Society
- Cumberland Valley Dental Society
- The American Academy of Periodontology
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- Russell W. Bunting Periodontal Study Club
- Gerald Bowers Periodontal Study Club
- Maryland Society of Periodontists
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
Awards, Fellowships, and Honors
- High School Valedictorian, National Honor Society Member
- Member, Honors College, Michigan State University
- United States Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program
- Member, Omicron Kappa Upsilon-Chi Chapter
- Recipient of Annual Student Award of the American Academy of Periodontology
- President of the Washington County Dental Society
- Diplomate of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Top Dentists for Periodontics
- Diplomate of The American Board of Periodontology
US Air Force – Major, Chief of Periodontics, USAF Regional Hospital, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina
Dr. Fred L. Bye’s C.V.
In order to view the rest of this bio, please download Dr. Fred Bye’s complete c.v.
This is a pdf document which requires the Adobe Reader software. You most likely already have this software on your computer. However, if you have difficulty reading the notice, please click here to install Acrobat Reader.