Meet Dr. Fred L. Bye
Fred L. Bye, DDS, MS
Hello! I am Dr. Fred Bye, a dentist in specializing in Periodontics and Dental Implantology.
I established The Bye Center for Implants and Periodontics in Hagerstown, MD in 1992 and more recently opened The Bye Center for Implants and Periodontics in Chambersburg, PA.
I received my undergraduate, BS degree from Michigan State University and my DDS and specialty (MS) degrees from The University of Michigan. As a Major in the Sir Force, I served as Chief of Periodontics at Shaw AFB Regional Hospital, Shaw AFB, SC. Immediately prior to moving to Maryland, I was a Professor at The University of Michigan, School of Dentistry, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
At The Bye Centers, I provide advanced treatment for all types of periodontal disease as well as esthetic analysis and associated periodontal “plastic” surgery procedures. In addition, we offer 3-dimensional imaging (CT scan) for safe, accurate and predictable treatment planning most often in association with the placement of individual dental implants or even multiple dental implants to replace all teeth when necessary, I have tree wonderful children, all are in college. We enjoy our annual trip to Alaska where I blend continuing education courses for dentists and their teams with sight-seeing and salmon fishing with my family.
In recognition of my periodontal and implant expertise, I am a Board-Certified Diplomate of both The American Board of Periodontology and The International Congress of Oral Implantologists. I have numerous publication and have lectures both nationally and internationally. In 2010, I founded a Dental Implant Study Club and provide dental implant continuing education courses for interested dentists in the tri-state area. In 2015, I established the Dental Hygiene Forum as an educational format for local hygienists to receive up to date information on topics they feel relevant to their providing optimal care for their patients.
Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself.
I would love to meet with you and work with your general dentist in providing you with treatment options if you have “gum disease”, esthetic concerns, or missing teeth/loose dentures and are considering implants.
We are currently accepting new patients and would love to help you take your smile to the next level. Call Hagerstown Office Phone Number 866-739-6868 or complete our Contact Form to request an appointment.
Patient Review By Colleen M
The staff are all amazing. They are so friendly and helpful. Dr. Bye is also wonderful. He even called me in the evening after my procedure to see how I was doing. This was the first time any doctor had ever followed up with me to see how I was doing. He truly cares about his patients.
- Colleen M
Patient Review By Gina M
My experience was wonderful. I would recommend Dr. Fred Bye to anyone in need of periodontal surgery or care. The office is warm and inviting, the staff is wonderful, and Dr. Bye is extraordinary.
- Gina M
Patient Review By Michelle W
This was my first implant and when I heard the whole process was a year, I was doubtful. I had been to someone else for consultation and it didn't feel right so I didn't go back. Then I seen an ad in the newspaper about Dr. Bye having an implant seminar so I went, after that I was convinced and confident in him and his staff to walk me through the procedure. I just finished the whole process and I'm so glad I went to Dr. Bye's office. I'm very satisfied with the implant and the procedure didn't go as bad as I anticipated - the implant looks and feels great! I was really impressed that Dr. Bye gives his patients his cell phone number if you have any problems or questions along the way, not many doctors do that! He even called and checked on me after each surgery to make sure I was doing ok. Dana was amazing also, she was very friendly and professional. I will definitely go back when in need of dental repair. My husband is now going to Dr. Bye after witnessing my experience.
- Michelle W
Patient Review By Jody H
Am very pleased with my experience with Dr Bye. Would highly recommend him to anyone needing care.
- Jody H
Patient Review By Sheron W
I broke a front tooth and was mortified. My dentist took a mold and had a "flipper", a temporary partial, made for me. It was so uncomfortable, I realized I couldn't tolerate a partial for the rest of my life. I also vetoed a bridge. Why destroy good teeth to fix my broken one? For those two reasons, I decided to get a dental implant. My dentist referred me to Dr. Bye and I was comfortable with him from the beginning. He had a very calming effect and I had complete confidence in him from the beginning. An implant is not a quick fix. It is a long process from beginning to end but the final results are amazing. When I smile, no one knows which tooth was replaced. I've had people guess the wrong tooth! I highly recommend implants and especially Dr. Bye.
- Sheron W
Patient Review By Keith S
very nice and friendly
- Keith S
Patient Review By Martin K
The Bye Center, and all the staff, are top-flight and first-rate. If you need a dental implant, and have had a lifelong fear of dentists, dental work, and dental pain...this is the place for you to go to, as it was for me. It's a long process, but everyone at the Bye Center makes it easy and almost totally pain-free. I'm near the end of the process, and I've experienced only very minimal pain and only briefly. Everyone there is very friendly, professional, and efficient. They will set you at ease immediately and make the process very easy for you. Quite simply, you can't beat this place.
- Martin K
Education and Teaching Appointments
At the University of Michigan School of Dentistry Dr. Bye was a professor in the Department of Periodontics and Implant Dentistry where he enjoyed both lecturing and clinically instructing students training to become dentists, dental hygienists, and postgraduate students in various dental specialties.
He was honored with a Teacher of the Year award while also being involved in numerous research projects and the publication of related dental articles. The University of Michigan sponsored his travel to lecture to dentists at the local, state, national and international levels.
After the completion of his implant training at the world-renowned Branemark Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, he became director of the Dental Implant Training Program and placed both the first bone allograft and first dental implants for patients within the Department of Periodontics.
- Diploma, Msgr. John A. Gabriel’s, Lansing, Michigan
- B.S. (Zoology), Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- D.D.S. The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- M.S. (Periodontics), The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontics, The University of Michigan.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Restorative Dentistry, The University of Michigan.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontics/Prevention and Geriatrics, The University of Michigan
Professional & Volunteer Experience
In 1992, Dr. Bye followed his heart and his passion for helping people in founding The Bye Center for Implants and Periodontics in Hagerstown, Maryland. When someone asks him, “What do you do?” his response is, “I change the quality of people’s lives.” This is the greatest satisfaction any health care provider can ever have.
- Chief of Periodontics, USAF Regional Hospital, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina
- Assistant Professor of Dentistry, Department of Restorative Dentistry/Periodontics, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Part-time private practice — Specialty of Periodontics, Jackson, Michigan
- Part-time private practice — Specialty of Periodontics, Canton, Michigan
- Full-time private practice — Specialty of Periodontics, Hagerstown, Maryland
Professional Volunteer Work
- Past President of the Washington County Dental Society
- Director of an active dental implant study club for dentists in the tri-state area
- Director of The Bye Center for Continuing Education, including programs for dentists in isolated areas of Alaska
- Involvement with Dentistry from the Heart Day for patients with special needs in our local area
Licenses & Certifications
Licensure and Board Certifications
- National Boards Part I
- National Boards Part II
- Northeast Regional Boards
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
- State of Michigan Dental License #011534
- State of Michigan Specialty Certificate of Licensure
- Maryland State Dental License #11128/ Specialist in Periodontics
- Pennsylvania State Dental License #05029607L
- Department of Periodontics. The University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Ann Arbor, Michigan. Thesis: The Keratinizing Potential of the Sulcular Epithelium in Monkeys
- International Association for Dental Research, Oral Presentation: Histologic Evaluation of Periodontal Implants in a Biologically “Closed” Model. Las Vegas, Nevada. March 21-24.
- American Association for Dental Research, Poster Presentation: The Effect of Sharpening Stones Upon Curette Surface Roughness. Washington, D.C. March 12-15.
- American Association for Dental Research, Poster Presentation: Effectiveness of Scaling and Root Planning: Single vs. Multiple Instrumentations. Chicago, Illinois. March 11-15
- International Association for Dental Research, Oral Presentation: Four Different Pain Rating Scales Used to Evaluate Dentin Hypersensitivity.
Montreal, Quebec. March 9-13.
Membership in Professional Societies
- American Dental Association
- Maryland State Dental Association
- Washington County Dental Society
- Cumberland Valley Dental Society
- The American Academy of Periodontology
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- Russell W. Bunting Periodontal Study Club
- Gerald Bowers Periodontal Study Club
- Maryland Society of Periodontists
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
Awards, Fellowships, and Honors
- High School Valedictorian, National Honor Society Member
- Member, Honors College, Michigan State University
- United States Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program
- Member, Omicron Kappa Upsilon-Chi Chapter
- Recipient of Annual Student Award of the American Academy of Periodontology
- President of the Washington County Dental Society
- Diplomate of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Top Dentists for Periodontics
- Diplomate of The American Board of Periodontology
US Air Force – Major, Chief of Periodontics, USAF Regional Hospital, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina
Dr. Fred L. Bye’s C.V.
In order to view the rest of this bio, please download Dr. Fred Bye’s complete c.v.
This is a pdf document which requires the Adobe Reader software. You most likely already have this software on your computer. However, if you have difficulty reading the notice, please click here to install Acrobat Reader.